Tuesday, April 2, 2013

A Day with B

Not too bore you, whoever you are that may (or may not) be reading, I will take a quick pause from my travel concerns in order to tell you what I do with my dog on a regular day. I live in a small town here in Mexico, in a neighborhood where quite frankly - there aren't that many good places to walk. I am and I have been doing my best though, for the time that I've had her. It's been quite a journey.

On a normal day I wake up as early as I possibly can. I study online, so I don't have an exact time that I need to drag myself out of bed, which is why Beily has been a great reason for me not to waste too much time sleeping. I usually wake up somewhere around 7 or 8 depending on what time I went to sleep the night before (I must admit; I have a pretty busy social life down here), and then the first thing is to get Beily out for a decent walk. We walk back and forth here in the neighborhood, since like I said, there aren't that many great places for walking close to where I live. The rest of the morning she spends lying around at the house. I usually try to study with the front door open so that she can walk in and out as much as she wants. I have this small fenced-in "front yard" where there is no risk of her escaping, which is pretty great. She loves to just hang around out there.


In the early afternoon I try to take her out for a walk again, but since it's usually a little bit too hot to actually enjoy a walk at that time I mostly end up taking her to a nearby park (a tiny one) to play Fetch for a few minutes. She has lots of dog friends around here too, since lots of people let their dogs roam the streets on their own or "walk themselves". Not so good for the dogs considering all the risks they are exposed to on their unsupervised "walks", but it works greatly for us since those dogs accompany us to the park almost every day. I have to say I have a bit of a weak spot for dogs playing, and I could probably sit down and just watch for hours. It fascinates me! I love seeing the happiness in their every move, and for us it's a great substitute for a walk when the weather is simply too hot for it. The heat down here is unlike anything I have ever experienced... during summer it occasionally goes up to about 125 F (52 C)! It's riddiculous, and I wonder how I've survived almost 3 years down here. That kind of heat simply isn't a temperature you want to live in, and especially not if you are a dog! Lots of dogs here live outside all year around in some backyard so just imagine.


For the rest of the day we usually chill, play with Kongs and toys, and in the late afternoon I try to get her out on the longest walk of the day. I really do miss having better walking opportunities though, and that is why it would seriously be incredible to get her to Washington D.C in the end of June. D.C is such a nice city for walking. I will do whatever I possibly can to make that happen, you'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment