Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Preparations & Thoughts

Beily has everything she needs to travel across the border; she has her shots, I have all her records saved from that she was 2 months old... and I will of course have her checked by a vet so that they can give me a health certificate before I leave... all that. Trust me, I have done my homework. My first problem will be to get from the San Carlos area in Sonora, Mexico, and up to the United States. I doubt any of my friends will want to drive us, especially since few of them understands my decision to bring the dog with me, and I know for sure that there is no bus that will allow me to travel with a dog. My hope is that I'll be able to find someone (perhaps American) who travels regularly to San Carlos, or perhaps someone who lives down here, who is planning to travel up to the States in late June, and who would be up for giving me and my dog a ride. If I can find that, then at least I will be able to get across the border and to Tucson or Phoenix, depending on where the driver is headed. That's step #1.


My next step will be to get from Arizona and over to Washington D.C, which will perhaps be my biggest concern. It just sounds too good to be true that I would be able to do all this by myself, especially when money isn't exactly something I have a lot of. Winning the lottery would have been awesome right now, I'm not going to lie. Unfortunately, though, I am far from rich, so we'll have to see how I go about to figure this out. That is why I call it the Beily Project. Can I do it? I have to. There isn't much of an option. What scares me is the idea of me failing, and what will happen if I do.

I can read it on people's faces when I tell them that I intend to bring my dog - they think I won't be able to do it. They don't believe that I'll follow through. Ever since Beily was given to me I've known that some of those I surround myself with have been waiting for me to give up on her, get tired of her, or in any other way reach a point where I wouldn't want to have her anymore. ...That's sad. What they don't understand is that I have wanted my own dog my whole life, and when I finally got one (even though it wasn't by choice) I was not going to give up on her. It breaks my heart to see people get dogs, be excited about them for a while and then realize they weren't ready for one, and just dump it at a shelter or worse - on the street. It is not uncommon here, unfortunately, and it is just awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment