Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Meeting My Dog

I remember when I first met Beily. She moved in with us on a hot September day and she was such a happy little creature..! Funny, considering her rough start in life and all those flees and ticks that taunted her and sucked her blood. I know she had at least one sister, because when her rescuers (a wonderful rescue organization that we have here) found her in that box she was together with another puppy from her litter. Sometimes I think about that puppy, and I wonder what happened to her. I know for sure she was adopted by a "nice man", but I wonder if she became one of those outdoor dogs that spend most of their life outside in the backyard. Probably. After all, that's the life most bigger dogs I know here live, and it's simply the way people here are used to keeping dogs. It's not because they're bad people - not at all, and lots of people adore their dogs! It is just that they've grown up with the idea of bigger dogs being meant to live outside. To many, I am weird for having my dog inside.


This is Beily and her sister. The second one is the photo that was published on the rescue organization's Facebook page, and also the photo my roommate saw when she was deciding which dog to give me for my birthday. It is so weird for me, the idea of giving away puppies for presents. My family back home have two dogs, but we had to save money for years before we could get them, since they were both quite expensive! Gave us a lot of time to think about the decision to get a dog. It's not like that here. My whole life I had pictured getting a pure-breed dog whenever I was ready for a dog; not because I preferred them, but because I never really knew any mix-breeds while growing up. I come from a small town (as in VERY small), so the possibility never really occurred to me..!

A lot has changed since then. The rescue organization here they do an amazing job with rescuing dogs off the street, promoting neutering/spaying, going out and talking to primary schools and High Schools etc. etc... and living here in Mexico has made me realize how many dogs that are suffering due to irresponsible dog owners, and how bias people are when it comes to pure/mix breeds. I have no preference when it comes to pure-breeds or mix-breeds, I love all dogs the same, but I've really loved this whole thing with adopting a dog, rather than buying one from a breeder. It's pretty amazing. I dare say that any dogs I decide to get in the future will be adopted dogs, that is for sure.


I have no idea what Beily might be a mix of, and I don't really care. Of course there will always be curiousity there, but since there is no way of ever finding out, I don't think too much about it. The only thing that matters to me is that she is happy and healthy, and it's sad that so many people are hung up on breeds. I'm getting really nervous, I really just want to get her out of here, or to know that I will be able to get her out of here in the end of June. If I knew that for sure, and if I knew how to do it, I would feel so much better. She is such a good-spirited little (or not so little, anymore) furry fluff ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment