Monday, April 22, 2013

Feed Me

This thing with dog food. What brand do you feed to your dog? Beily is currently on Royal Canin and has been for the past 5 months or so. I am perfectly aware of it being far from the best dry-food out there, but it is unfortunately the best (I think) I am able to get here. I live in quite a small town and most people I know feed commercial dog foods to their dogs - basically whatever food they find at Walmart. I've done my research and I know more or less what I would have LIKED to feed my dog, but unfortunately the options are very few. From what I have found, checking with local vets and pet stores (which quite frankly, there aren't really any good pet stores in this town), the better options if I want to avoid commercial dog food is either Royal Canin or Purina Pro-Plan. I can't find a single store or vet that sells any other brands than these, I am sure it would have been different if I lived in a bigger city, but that is unfortunately not the case. I've tried both Royal Canin and Pro-Plan, but I think I like Royal Canin better out of the two. Opinions more than welcome. The only thing that I don't like is that I feel it sort of stains her teeth a little..! Once I get to the US I am hoping to be able to switch her up to a better dry-food, but here that seems to be the best I can get my hands on. I figure it must at least be better than the Walmart options... so I am simply in a situation where I take what I can get.


It is funny because, for example, Royal Canin is so expensive here that even the vet I bought it from recommended that I'd try to have it imported from the US instead, to save some money. That hasn't been possible though, so I've had to suck it up and pay the price. Besides that though I have to admit that I like giving Beily a little something extra in her food from time to time! I usually go with plain (unsweetened) yogurt on top, or sardines. Every now and then I turn into Owner of the Year and I give her canned salmon with her food, but usually I end up eating the salmon myself. Woopsie!

No comments:

Post a Comment