Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Why the Name?

There is a funny story to why Beily is named Beily. When I first got her we were trying to come up with a name, my roommate and I, and we happened to spot bottle of Bailey's on the kitchen counter. Bailey... I liked it, and so did my roommate. We decided to name her Bailey. For a little while that is how we spelled it,  but some friends started making fun of it, saying that we'd chosen such an American name for her, and that in Mexico it should be spelled "Beily". ...Exactly the way it would be pronounced here. It was nothing but a joke, and everybody laughed at it, but after a while I decided to change the spelling of her name. Bailey went on to becoming Beily - same pronounciation, different spelling. Why? One of the biggest reasons was that the new spelling would always remind me of my friends, and the inside joke that lead to the change in spelling. Everytime I see her name in writing now, I have to smile, just because of all the memories it is connected to. I call it a Mexicanized version of the name Bailey, which is funny to me. However, yes, her name used to be Bailey and she is originally named after a bottle of Bailey's. ...An empty bottle of Bailey's, I have to admit.


It is hard to name a dog! I have to say. I mean whatever you choose to name your dog is something you'll have to put up with for the next 10-15 years. When I first named my dog Bailey I have to admit that there was something that didn't feel quite right, and I had just felt the pressure to name her SOMETHING after my roommate gave her to me, since all the people that were there were looking at me, waiting for me to give her a name. I never felt that Bailey was the right thing for her, and it didn't feel original enough. Once we decided to change the spelling it felt right though, because I felt her name reflected a sense of humor that my Mexican friends (and Mexicans in general) have, which would forever be that reminder of my time here. That is the simple story of how Beily got her name.

2 comments: